Jan 27, 2010

Honeyed Bak Kwa(BBQ Pork)

Many KC forum members have ask me for this recipe. I remember seeing it in the forum. But I guess the person may have deleted the recipe from the forum.

I made it once..a year ago. But never had the real recipe on hand. This is made today, out of memory. And decided that I must document the steps, ratio of ingredients used.

Here's my version for you to try at home.



Honeyed Bak Kwa/BBQ Pork
Recipe by Gina Choong

Ingredients

1 kg streaky bacon
5 tbsp Thai Fish sauce
1.5 tbsp 5 spiced powder
150g honey
100g Golden syrup

Method
1. Remove chilled bacon from packing, wash under tap water to remove any liquid(usually from packaging)
2. Pat dry with paper towels.
3. Line it on a large plastic container and pour fish sauce and 5 spiced powder over it.
4. Mix honey and golden syrup together.
5. Pour over the bacon.
6. Cover the container and leave it in the chiller(fridge) to marinate for at least 2 days.
7. Roast in preheated oven 220C for 10 to 15 minutes or until it turns golden brown. Brush the pork with remaining marinate sauce.
8. Drain excess oil by placing the BBQ pork on greaseproof paper.
9. Store in containers lined with waxed paper or greaseproof paper.

Notes
Make sure you cool it before storing.
Can keep for 2 weeks or more.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

julie said...

Hi Gina,
I know its silly to ask U these questions but please enlighten me :1) Brush marinate sauce before, during or after roasting the bacon. (2) Bacon as in the fresh Streaky pork in the market or the bacon that we eat for breakfast.

Thank you

Gina Choong said...

Hi Julie, not silly dear. Sometimes when I jot down my notes, I just write blindly. Streaky Bacon is the type we buy from supermarkets, fry with oil and eat with eggs type. Like those McMuffins breakfast at Mcdonalds. Brush with sauce is during roasting..

Anonymous said...

Thanks Gina for your always quick reply and help. I really appreciate it. M going to the supermarket to get my bacon and tried it immediately. Just cant wait. please.......dont laugh at my impatience.

julie said...

Hi Gina, its me Julie sorry I forgot to put my name when I reply to U . Very rude of me when U are so kind as to help me.

Sorry , sorry.

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Gina,
Thanks for sharing the recipe. It doesn't look that difficult. But that doesn't mean it's easy to do right? I didn't know it's made this way. At least it's doable at home! Thanks again!

julie said...

Hi Gina

Hurray I succeeded. I did two versions- 1 bacon and the other the usual shabu shabu belly pork . Feed back from my family - both are just as good except bacon more salty. but it goes very well as a sandwich filling for foccasia bread. Thanks for the recipe

Gina Choong said...

Hi Julie, bacon tends to be more salty, so you have to use honey to brush on top during roasting/grilling time. I am making more this week. In time for next week. Buying 5kg of streaky bacon from supplier..!