Aug 14, 2010

Food Glorious Food



I became extremely curious about food, not as much as eating it. But more like how its made, cooked or prepared. All the credits goes to Benny. He would often tell me of a certain food joint that serves the best kuay teow or the best char siu pau and ask if I knew how to cook it.

So that started my interest in it. He loves Kong Bak Pau or Stewed Pork Bun. Its a steamed bun(pau), stuffed with stewed pork belly. Today I have time, lots of it. So decided to make some for supper tonight.

Home made mantou are NOT the prettiest thing to look at. But who cares? It tastes as good as the real thing from stalls in Singapore. That is what counts, plus, its made with lots of sweat, pain and most of all : LOVE



Here's my mantou recipe for you to try at home. :

Plain Mantou
Recipe by Gina Choong

Ingredients
500g Hong Kong Flour(sometimes called Pau Flour)
100g fine sugar
1 tbsp instant yeast
250ml water
1.5 tsp Double Action Baking Powder

2 tbsp vegetable shortening

Method
1. In a mixing bowl, add water, followed by flour and the rest of the ingredients, except Shortening
2. Using a hook paddle, turn on the mixer to knead for 5 mins or until dough forms and leaves the sides of the bowl.
3. Remove mixer bowl and cover the bowl to proof in a warm place for 30 minutes.
4. When the dough has risen, double in size, remove and knead/roll on a floured table(flour it with HK Flour)
5. Cut into rounds, spread a little shortening on top, fold into half and set aside to proof for another 15 minutes.


6. Then heat up a steamer, add the mantou on it and steam on high for 5 minutes. Remove when its done.


7. Best to keep inside a ziplock bag to prevent it from drying out.

Kong Bak
Recipe By Gina Choong

Ingredients
1kg pork belly(local word is 3 layer pork 三层肉 ) : cut into 3 cm lengths..
1 pc Cinnamon stick
2 pcs star aniseed
3 pcs cloves


100ml Dark Soya sauce
50ml Light Soya sauce
300g sugar
500ml water

Method:
1. In a wok add spices to fry till its fragrant. Then add sauce mix to cook till it boils.
2. Add in pork belly to cook.
3. Transfer into a slow cooker and cook for 2 hours till tender.
4. Serve with steamed mantou or great with plain porridge or rice.

Notes
If you have lots of sauce leftover, do not discard this. Keep it in an airtight container to be stored in the freezer. Keeps indefinitely. To use, just thaw, add water to boil. Then add meat to slow cook again.

and lastly, I also baked some bread today..made my home made kaya..showing you pictures only..recipes are all at KC Forum.

Dinner rolls with 2 types of home made kaya
Green is Pandan Kaya
Brown is Gula Melaka Kaya...smooth, creamy, and smells of good Gula Melaka from Malacca(a gift from my student)


More dinner rolls..plain, nothing inside and so Benny complains..where's the meat??? That was how I ended up making Kong Bak Pau


Pandan kaya was spread on the dough, roll up and made into Pandan kaya rolls


Gula melaka kaya was stuffed into the dough, rolled up, sealed and baked inside a loaf pan.



The breads were for me to 'rehearse' as my students pestered me endlessly for a Bread workshop. Its been over 3 years I stopped making bread at home..Why? Because I am just getting too tired, and too lazy for it. No one eats bread at home...except me. Benny isn't a bread person, more like a pau person..

Well, today, I made everyone happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gina,
Thank you for sharing such an awesome recipe for mantou. This definitely a keeper.

I finally got to make a soft and fluffy mantou or bao. Thank you.

However, would like to find out if I can keep the dough (after proofing and twisting)in the fridge and only steam them in the next day.

Thank you

VeryBubbly...Always Bubbly...Bubbly 4ever said...

Is there a mantou recipe that uses breadmaker? Can I have the link please?