Aug 17, 2010

My Favourite Cupcake

The only cupcake I grew up knowing and eating and loving it was this..

the humble Chinese Steamed Egg cake. Most of the times, you will see this in a large bowl set and often placed on altars for prayers. Sometimes you get to buy these little cupcakes from a local bakery or cake shop. Its often decorated with a little red dot.




It reminds me of my early childhood years. The only type of 'cupcake' that my mom would make for us. And it was steamed. Just 3 basic ingredients ; Eggs, Sugar, flour. I remember seeing her holding a large bowl under her arm, with a whisk on the other hand, whisking eggs and sugar non stop. She would paused to check the consistency and if its not up to her standard, she whips again. Then she would sift the flour into the bowl of whipped and fluffy batter and pour into little cups to steam.

It was just so simple. No additives, no preservatives, no chemicals used. And this often reminds me of what my doctor told me time and time again :

"Mdm Choong, remember how our mothers used to make cakes? without baking soda, baking powder or any chemicals? You should learn the old ways and learn to bake cakes without these chemicals. Its harmful to your health. Its time you cut back on using man-made chemicals in your food"

And so my journey starts...to revamp all the recipes I knew and learn from various places, books or websites and rework it without chemicals. Its seems like a life long journey..but I am seeing the results of this.

For the last 8 years, I stopped taking baked foods that has baking powder/soda in it. I have not picked up any flu virus or cold virus from anyone who was ill. Somehow it boosts my immunity. Maybe its a thought, you may say..but I see the end results of all that I have tried. I don't fall sick at all. Should I take MC from work, it must be really serious.

Okay, I do get the occasional food poisoning from eating food that don't agree with my stomach. This often happens whenever I travel and eat out on my own. I tend to get a bit too adventurous sometimes.

And whenever I visit the doctor, he praises me for making that effort. And thus, whenever I teach, I omit all the chemicals in the recipes too. And show to the students that without all the baking soda or powder, the cake still rises.

I had to try this to see....I added Barry Callebaut cocoa powder into the egg batter just to try out.. the balloon effect is caused by over whipping the eggs..

A twist from an old favourite.



Chocolate Bomb Bomb
Recipe by Gina Choong

Ingredients

8 eggs(55g each minus shell)
250g fine sugar
210g Cake Flour
30g Barry Callebaut Cocoa powder

Method:
1. In a mixing bowl, add eggs and sugar to whip till frothy and fluffy..about 15 minutes.
2. Sieve cocoa powder into cake flour
3. Turn off the mixer, fold in gently so as not to break down the air bubbles.
4. Pour into cupcake liners to the brim(full)..and steamed over high heat for 10 minutes.
5. Serve warm...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gina, very sad. My steam cake keeps failed recently. .duno y. Is tat due to steamer? Al ways ur student-Joanne Tan