Jan 29, 2011

Tiger, Tiger in the soup...



At home, we are not beer drinkers. So when I got a carton of Tiger Beer(part of a hamper stash from my supplier), I wanted to try to cook with it. In the past, I have used beer to cook with crabs, with beef and it works great. This time, I wanted to cook it with soup. I should have done this last year when it was the Year of the Tiger. But never late than ever, you have this anytime of the year. Especially so when the weather was cold in the last couple of days due to heavy down pour over the island.

I cook this using the simple ingredients I can find in my kitchen pantry. And also wanted to cook it with the pickled Garlic I have made. The girls loved it..said the soup was sweet and the beer flavour was mild. The soup smells like beer. The chicken was tender and had a hint of beer in it. I added sichuan peppercorns to mellow the overall taste of beer.

Here's my tried n tested recipe...

Tiger Beer Chicken Soup
Recipe by Gina Choong




Serves 2
Ingredients

2 chicken thigh, deboned, skin intact
1 pickled garlic
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp szechuan peppercorns
1 can of Tiger Beer(Cold from the fridge)

Method
1. Slice garlic thinly.
2. Cut up chicken into thick chunks.
3. Heat up wok with 1 tbsp of cooking oil
4. Add garlic to saute till the sides turn slightly brown and crispy
5. Add chicken and stir fry over high heat for 3 mins.
6. Add beer, szechuan peppercorns, salt to cook till it boils.
7. Cover the wok and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
8. Turn off fire, dish out and serve warm.

Great on its own..!

Pickled Garlic
Recipe by Gina Choong





Ingredients
10 pcs of China fragrant garlic, peeled
500ml red glutinous rice wine (if not, use a good Chinese Rice Wine)

Method
1. Wash and peel away the skin of the garlic.
2. use a large glass jar, pour wine into it.
3. Add garlic into and make sure the wine covers all of it.
4. Cover and leave it to soak overnight in the fridge.
5. By the next day, its ready for use.

Storage
As long as the garlics are soak in the liquid, it keeps indefinitely.
This liquid can be reuse several times.

Do not throw away the wine liquid.

1 comment:

Codyukie said...

Dear Gina,

I have tried the soup yesterday with a bottle of Hoegaarden beer and we like it. Very easy and flavorful. Thanks for sharing the recipe, looking forward for more yummy recipes.