Nov 16, 2011
Something different for a change as hubby celebrates his birthday last week. He wanted something different than just noodle soup with an egg. *
*Traditionally, a chinese birthday is a simple fare. No cakes, no parties. Just noodles swimming in a rich chicken stock, served with a big chicken drumstick on the side, and a whole egg (semi-cooked). Often served to the birthday man/woman at the break of dawn. To symbolise the coming of age and a year of good things (health, prosperity and happiness). In the past, people are really poor so chickens are like delicacy and eggs are just as expensive as it gets. So to be served with a chicken drumstick, an egg means for one day in a year, you are like an Emperor who is waited upon by his lower subjects and treated like an Emperor savouring an Imperial meal.
But for my Emperor at home, he is waited upon 365 days in a year. Love knows no boundaries.
Ingredients for beef and marinate for 3 to 4 hours
500g Short Rib Beef(sliced thinly)
1 white onion, sliced
40ml worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 tbsp coarse sugar grains
1 egg white
1 litre beef stock
3 tbsp cornstarch mix with 2 tbsp water to be use as thickener
Blanch and drain the following :
300g bean sprouts
300g chye sim
Ingredients to fry noodles
1kg hor fun(flat noodles)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp dark soya sauce
3 tbsp cooking oil
1. Heat up wok and add oil, to saute the garlic minced.
2. Add noodles to fry and add dark soya sauce to stir fry over high heat for 5 to 8 mins. Till the noodles are coated with the sauce and turns from white to dark coloured.
3. Dish out and serve in a casserole, set aside.
4. Wash and clean wok and heat up again.
5. Add butter to wok to heat, melt. Add beef and marinates to stir fry over high heat for 3 mins. Dish out beef and continue to cook the sauce. Add beef stock into it to boil.
6. Add thickener to thicken it. Once it thickens, turn off heat.
Serve generous portions of noodles on a plate.
Add beansprouts, chye sim on the side.
Add a couple of slices of beef on top.
Pour piping hot sauce over it.