Sep 25, 2007

My brother, Woon Ping

I remembered vaguely one day while I was still in school. My neighbour came to school to get me. So that we could visit my mom who was hospitalised. I didn't remember the details. All I knew was my mom lost her baby thru a miscarriage. A baby boy. My only brother.

I remembered my mom crying and my dad consoling her. Then she got better, the doctor discharged from the hospital. My mom got on with life, and went about doing things she loved doing most. At that time, my 3rd auntie just had a baby. My uncle and aunt asked my dad for a good Chinese name for their son. My dad gave them the name which was intended for my brother.

My cousin was named Wong Woon Ping. But because his dialect was Cantonese, the chinese words for Woon Ping became Mun Pun.

I grew up knowing this since young. For many years, I doted on my 'adopted' brother, Woon Ping. I would spend all my weekends with him. As we stayed in different homes. My dad would drive me to his place at Chuan Hoe Avenue. We became inseparable. Almost like blood siblings. I adored him alot. We would watch Tom and Jerry or Bugs Bunny together, eat our meals together. We played together and I would tell him stories all the time.

Woon Ping would tell me everything..more than what he would share with his mother. When he did well in school, I was the first to know. If he failed his mathematics paper, I would come and rescue him from my aunt, who would be waving a cane at him.

We were so close that we are often mistaken as siblings rather than cousins. He would address me as Second Sister. Because my elder sister was Big Sister.

I remembered when he first met his one true love, he would ring me and tell me about it. And he told his girl friend about me. I was worried that she would mistook our unusual relationship.

When my daughters were born, Woon Ping adored them the same way I did with him. He would spend time with my eldest daughter, Natasha. He would tell her stories and make her laugh.

Now Woon Ping is all grown up..and a father to 2 young boys. But when I looked at him, his boyish nature still shines thru. And I remembered him always as that little boy I carried on my back for many years. A game that only Woon Ping and I shared..I was to be his horse because he wanted to be a knight in shiny armour.

Thanks to Woon Ping or Mun Pun as he is called now..for those wonderful and most cherished memories of my childhood.

This picture shows my mom carrying Woon Ping..

No comments: