Sep 18, 2008

Natasha's God's Pockets

I chanced a gift shop at OUB centre in 1997. And saw this wonderful gift called the God's Pocket. I bought 2 sets. One was packed and given away to my boss Ms Su-Chzeng, the other I had to keep for myself. Only a year later, I gave it to Natasha, my eldest daughter to use.

So what is this God's Pocket all about? Its actually a cloth pouch with 2 notes inside. One note shows a poem, while the other tells you how to use this God's Pocket.

This is what the poem writes of:

Let Go and Let God
As children bring their broken toys,
with tears for us to mend,
I brought my broken dreams to God
Because He was my friend
But then instead of leaving Him
in peace to work alone
I hung around and tried to help,
with ways that are of my own
At last, I snatched them back again,
and cried, "How can you be so slow?"
"My child," He said, "What could I do? You never did let go"



For the note of instructions, I hope you can see and read the words on it.


In late 1997, I was pregnant with my youngest daughter, Melody. She was supposed to be mildly deformed based on the fluid test I did when I was 4 months pregnant. As parents, we are worried sick. But we left the matter with God, asking church and close friends to pray for the unborn child. Natasha was only 7 years old back then. And she wanted to help too.

So I gave her this God's Pocket and told her to write short notes of all her fears, her hopes, her dreams and leave it inside this pocket. And to pray over it. And she did. But I am not showing her little pink notes here as she thinks its very private. So what you see now is an half empty pocket with 2 photos.

1 photo shows her carrying her baby sister and she was smiling in the photo. Its her way to saying to God "Thank you for answering my prayer to make my baby sister well"

Another photo, I have blurred out the faces. Its her cousin and boyfriend. They had a big fight and no longer going out together. In her naive ways, she thinks she has to put that photo of them in the pocket, asking God to bring them together again. Because she adores her cousin and doesn't want to see her cousin miserable.

In all her little pink notes, she used to write to God. Asking God to cure her baby sister's illness. So she can be born whole.

Years have passed and while spring cleaning, I found this old and wrinkled God's Pocket. Natasha, no longer writes her notes to God nor put photos in there anymore. Because this little pouch taught her to have faith in God and to believe that all prayers said to Him will be answered..in His time and space. And she learns that by praying, she is blessed and also able to bless others too.



May all who come here to read this post, find peace and joy in the Lord!

God Bless you!

3 comments:

Gina Choong said...

Sandra, YES to that! Thanks for dropping by.

颜姨 said...

Hi Gina,

Is it feel blessed and very encouraging to read your journal on how you share your walk with God. I'm a mother of 3 young daughters who always strive to teach my girls how to trust and walk with God. Your sharing helped and reminds me is a life long journey and one should never fail to carry on. Please don't let this stop. May God continue to guide and bless you!

shira

Gina Choong said...

shira, before I had kids, I used to teach in my church's Sunday School. For years, the kids in SS blessed me with their innocent and their simple trust and belief in God. In their way, I learn to see God in different light and perspective. Our adult ways are too complicated. Sometimes its better to be a child and easy to please, just trust in the Lord and things will work out beautifully. AMEN!