We had mee siam again last week. Benny wanted it for weekend meals which he can have as midnight supper as and when he likes it. Here's the recipe my mom learnt from CC(Community Club run by People's Assn) donkey years ago.
We grew up eating this version and now we don't like those serve in most food courts. Its unique because this version has coconut milk in the stock.
These are packed for my parents, sister, brother in law and my niece. Yums!
This dish to fight for:
Serves 10 persons
400g mee siam paste
50g chives, chopped
100g soya beans
10 hard boiled eggs
20 pcs of small tau pok/dried bean curd, diced
250ml tamarind juice (2 tbsp tamarind pulp mixed with 100ml water)
7 tbsp sugar (more or less according to your taste)
300g bean sprouts
10 small limes
600ml coconut milk(or Evaporated Milk)
2 kg fresh grey prawns
2 packets of rice vermicelli(bee hoon), soaked to soften
Mee Siam paste:
10 cloves garlic
120g dried chillies (soaked to soften)
50g belacan/dried prawn paste (toasted and pounded)
120g dried shrimps (soak in water, soften)
400ml corn oil
Method for Paste
1. Put all the ingredients except the oil into a blender and blend into a fine paste.
2. Heat up the wok and add oil. Add the blended paste to fry over low heat till it is fragrant. Leave it aside till its cooled.
3. The paste should look very oily.
4. Note that though there is a lot of oil remaining, do not throw away this oil. As it is fragrant and to be used for frying the mee siam noodles.
Method for the rest
1. In the wok, add 200g of oily mee siam paste to heat. Add softened rice vermicelli(bee hoon) and stir fry till its dry and cooked.
2. Add bean sprouts to fry. Remove and set aside.
3. In a large pot, add water to boil. Add prawns to cook over high heat for 2 mins. Drain and remove all shells/heads of prawns, wash and devein. Set aside.
4. When the prawn stock comes to a boil again, add rest of mee siam paste to boil.
5. Once it starts boiling, add coconut milk, tamarind juice, soya beans and sugar. Turn heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes.
5. To serve, add hot gravy on fried rice vermicelli and garnish with egg, fried bean curd, prawns, chives and freshly squeezed lime juice.