Oct 27, 2008

Remember when...

Once upon a time, when Melody was still a little girl..very little girl. I learnt to make the teochew soon kueh from my mother in law. It took me a long time to figure out the proportions of the ingredients as she measures everything by gut feel. No measuring cups or spoons, no weighing scales. And when I figure out how it was done, I told myself that one day I will impart these skills to my children too.

Yesterday was the day. Melody wanted to try making soon kueh. I cooked all the fillings, made the dough. And show her how to wrap the fillings.

Looking at her now...engrossed into making that perfect soon kueh. We make mini ones so its easier to handle.







Here's my tried and tested recipe

Makes 24 pieces
Ingredients
500g turnip, skinned, shredded
100g dried shrimps, soaked in water to soften
5 pcs dried black fungus, soaked in water to soften, shred
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp sugar

300g Rice Flour
80g Tapioca Flour
500ml boiling hot water
1 tbsp corn oil
1 tsp salt

Method:

1. In a wok, add 2 tbsp of corn oil to heat. Add dried shrimps to fry till fragrant. Then add black fungus and turnip and stir fry for 5 minutes over high heat.
2. Lastly, add light soya sauce, sesame oil, sugar to mix. Remove and leave it aside to cool completely.
3. In a mixing bowl, add sifted rice flour and tapioca flour, salt and hot water. Stir quickly and it should look lumpy. Add corn oil to mix. Cover the bowl and leave it aside for 15 minutes.
4. Remove and knead into a smooth dough. Divide the dough into 24 portions.
5. Flatten each ball, add a tablespoon of cooked turnip in the centre of the flatten dough.
6. Seal by picking up the sides. Brush with corn oil before steaming.
7. Steam in a steamer over high heat for 10 minutes. Serve hot with sweet sauce or chilli sauce.

1 comment:

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Gina,
The soon kueh reminded me of when we were young, there were two girls who will bring a pot of soon kuehs to sell in our 3-room hdb flat in Holland last time. My sisters and mum really like their soon kuehs. However, not everytime, mum will buy even though we asked to sometimes. It would consider a treat for us. They will usually come around 3pm on Saturdays. I like to eat, but I don't have the courage to make. :p Seeing how Melody makes them, she'll pick up your skills in no time! ;)