Since opening the store, I found my days run in and out in a flash. Weekends are quick meals cooked in a one pot version. On nights, I just had Mozzarella cheese grilled straight on toast. I don't seem to have time to watch soapy serials on Channel 8 or movie flicks on HBO anymore.
My days and nights are filled with answering queries on emails or walk-in customers at the store asking about things I have in store.
But despite it all, I still find time to bake. And doing new recipes with the new ingredients I am selling in my store. And the most interesting thing was I could do this in a flash..after coming back from the store at 10pm each night.
Like this lovely Chiffon Cake I baked on Monday night using the Japanese UME Plum Fruit concentrated paste. It was light and yet firm and I even reduced the sugar by as much as 50%. The fruit paste was concentrated and sweetened. The aroma was heavenly.
Here is the recipe for it:
UME Plum Chiffon Cake
Recipe by Gina Choong
4 egg yolks
125g Top flour
80ml fresh milk(I used UHT full cream milk)
2.5 tbsp Jupe Natural UME Plum paste**
4 egg whites
80g fine sugar
1. In a mixing bowl, add egg yolks to whip till well mixed.
2. Add milk, fruit paste to stir. then add flour and stir to mix evenly. Set aside.
3. Whip egg whites in a cake mixer till foamy. Then pour in sugar slowly.
4. Whip till it peaks. Stop the mixer and fold in egg yolk batter with it.
5. Pour into tube pan
6. Bake in preheated oven 160C for 35 mins.
7. Serve cooled.
You can get UME Plum Paste from Kitchen Capers store. Costs S$8.80 per 100g bottle.