Okay, now everyone knows I can't take chocolate. Thank God, He still give me my coffee! I must have coffee with cream and sugar, every morning. Then can go without it after that. Occasionally, I ask for coffee if I dine out with friends at restaurants or cafe.
Just the other day, I read about IceBox cookies from Joy of Baking. Sounds simple enough. But I didn't want to do the usual stuff. So I use Stephanie's recipe, tweak it somewhat and voila! my version of Ice box cookies...Instead I think I should call this Coffee Squares.
Note that Stephanie's recipe uses egg. I didn't..because I forgotten about it!. :( Surprisingly it was just as good. yums!
Here's my tried and tested one.
Recipe by Gina Choong
150g light brown sugar
2 tbsp instant coffee
1 tbsp Vanilla extract
300g plain flour
80g Rice flour
100g chocolate rice
extra fine sugar for sprinkling
1. Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
2. Add vanilla extract, coffee, flour and chocolate rice.
3. Continue to whip till the dough forms and leaves the side of the mixer bowl.
4. Divide the dough into 3 parts. Roll into a baking parchment paper and chill the dough in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
5. Preheat oven at 200C.
6. Roll out, cut into thins and place on the baking tray.
Before baking..all lined up...
7. Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 mins.
8. Sprinkle sugar on top, cool on rack, keep in air tight containers.
This is REALLY Crunchy! And it goes very well with any weak tea or even just with cold milk...