Jul 4, 2008

Bountiful Harvest

My neighbour grows Starfruits in his little garden. During the hot months in Singapore, the tree bears much fruit. But the fruit is sour. If he is in a good mood, he would make juice with it. But the recent hot spells was just too much and he gave it all to me. And ask me to come and pluck it when I am free. So yesterday, I went to his little garden with a bag..and look at what I got:



A big bountiful supply of fresh green starfruits. I washed it, cleaned it and weigh it. That's 7.7 pounds or about 3.5 kilos! I sliced it up, 2 kilos went into making fruit wine, the balance were blended with maple syrup, water and lots of ice and made a lovely starfruit juice.

Here's an old photo of the starfruit in fermentation in a jar.


In 7 days, I will get my starfruit wine..which I will save a bottle for my thoughtful neighbour. Here's how the Starfruit wine looks like. Serve chilled, this is so good that I used it to pickled some ginger too.

No comments: