Yes, I know I told everyone that when you bake a cake, try not to add less sugar. If you need to go on a diet, either don't eat any sweet pastries or eat less. And one should never reduce sugar in a cake recipe. Looks like I have to eat my own words now!
I tested another chiffon cake with goji berries. I soaked the dried fruit in a cup of warmed milk. Then had it briefly chopped in a food processor. And even added less sugar. The cake was still a tad too sweet.
Otherwise, flavour-wise, its delicious. It really smells very nice and after baking, the cake turn orangey brown. The texture was extremely soft and light. And I was just over eager with it and try to cut it before its completely cooled..leaving my cake to collapsed under the pressure of the bread knife.
Here's my tried and tested recipe and may I suggest that you add less sugar too. :)
80g plain flour
100g goji berries
80ml low fat milk
4 egg yolks
4 egg whites
80g fine sugar
1. Warm milk in a sauce pot till bubbles appear on the side of the pot.
2. Turn off the heat, add goji berries to soak in it for about 15 mins.
3. Briefly blend it in a food chopper.
4. beat egg yolks in a big bowl and add goji berries juice into it.
5. Stir to mix evenly..then add flour. Fold it till well combined.
6. Whip egg whites in a mixer till foamy..then add sugar to whip till soft peaks.
7. Fold in egg whites with the goji berry batter until its well combined.
8. Pour into tube pan and bake at 160C for 40 mins.
9. Remove from the oven and invert the pan.
10. When its completely cooled, remove the cake from the pan. Slice and serve.